This week’s work

I thought I’d go over the work I accomplished this week for Ahsahta Press.

I spent most of the week trying to find out how much money Ahsahta Press had in its accounts so that I could with confidence arrange for the reprints of G.E. Patterson’s To and From, Susan Tichy’s Bone Pagoda, and Susan Briante’s Pioneers in the Study of Motion. The issue is complicated because our cover designer, Jeff Clark, doesn’t want his covers reproduced as digitally printed covers (which is what Bookmobile does), and I’m trying to honor that — but it’s more expensive. It turned out that no deposits had been made to the Ahsahta account for six to eight weeks because our financial person has been out of the office for that long with back surgery, and the replacement hadn’t made any deposits. It turns out there were over $4300 worth of checks awaiting deposit, so I easily had enough money for reprints. The dept. secretary walked them over and I went ahead and ordered the Patterson reprint from Thomson-Shore.

I put together a full-page ad for the SPD spring catalog. It’s our first, but SPD has been great for us in the past two years, putting six of our books on the best-seller list. It took about four hours.

I logged into JacketCaster, which is the service that uploads book information, cover images, etc., to all the online services, the Library of Congress, and others. It’s a long process to enter the information for just one book (you have to pull the endorsements, the jacket copy, resize the cover twice, fill in the Library of Congress info, etc.), and I was entering it for both Kath Jesme’s THE PLUM-STONE GAME and Barbara Maloutas’s THE WHOLE MARIE. I checked today and has both the books listed.

I set up a web page so people ordering the book from England can add the international postage. At the moment, that’s $11.95 in an international mailer. The university dropped DHL as a carrier, which is a blessing since they’ve mangled at least three of our deliveries.

I also set up the web pages for Jesme and Maloutas books. I now have to have these ready at the same time we mail out galleys, because the galleys refer to the websites. There are six pages for each site: the home page for the book, the author statement, the author bio, the sample poem, the audio page, and the reviews page.

I did a complete new layout of Ben Doller’s book. He’d sent me a newer version of his manuscript, and it was easier for me to redo it from the getgo than to move the pages around & reproof. That took most of a day; then I went through and proofed it against the Word file, wrote a bunch of author queries (he doesn’t like to capitalize “French,” but he does it on purpose), and then put in his corrections. That should be ready to go to the galley printer whenever I have a finished cover. Carrie Adams’s book is already ready, which is good. So is Rachel’s!

So went the week. There were also my grad seminar and ENGL406 classes, plus my painting class.

Published in: on October 25, 2008 at 1:29 pm  Leave a Comment  

The URI to TrackBack this entry is:

RSS feed for comments on this post.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: